This is a compact stone resin composite chess set that features miniature versions of the mythical Isle of Lewis chessmen - inside a Celtic design stoneware chess board and case.
The Isle of Lewis chessmen need little introduction as they are certainly one of the most iconic chess artefacts in the world. The pieces were discovered on The Isle of Lewis in Scotland in 1831 when a sand dune buckled and revealed a wooden box that contained the small figures. They date back to the 12th century and have been hand carved from walrus ivory and whale bone - likely in either Norway or Iceland. This chess set is hand made in England just outside of Gloucester.
Note: This chess set is typically used as a decorative item as the pieces are too small for practical play. It is quite popular as a gift item!
- King Height : 1¾ inches (4.3cm)
- King Weight : 0.4oz (12g)
- Pawn Height : 1½ inches (3.8cm)
- Pawn Weight : : 0.14oz (4g)
- King's Base Diameter : ¾ inches (1.8cm)
- Dimensions : 9 x 9 x 1½ inches (23 x 23 x 3.8cm)
- Total Weight : 3bs (1.3g)
- Materials Used: Stone Resin Composite