These are the official National Museums Scotland Isle of Lewis Chess Pieces on a large Spanish Walnut and Maple chess board at 21.7 inches. The original walrus tusk and whale bone pieces were discovered on a collapsed sandbank on the Scottish Isle of Lewis in 1831. Historians now believe that they originated from Iceland or what is present day Norway circa 1100 A.D.
While the pieces were very well preserved upon their discovery, no wooden board could have survived 700 years exposed to the elements. Our simple walnut and maple board is a very rough approximation to the type of board that may have been used. Unlike old chess boards, our European chess board is made of precise joinery of maple and walnut veneers. It is a durable and hardy board that will also stand the test of time - as long as it is not exposed to the elements for centuries in a sand bank!
Ships free anywhere in Canada.
- King Weight : 4.7oz (135g)
- Pawn Weight : 0.8oz (23g)
- King Height : 3¼ inches (10.7cm)
- Materials Used: Walnut, Maple, Boxwood, Stone Resin Composite
- Board Dimensions : 21¾ x 21¾ x 3/8 inches ( 55cm x 55cm x 1cm)
- Square Size : 2¾ inches (5.5cm)
- Total Weight : 8.4 lbs (3.8 kg)