These chess pieces are faithful reproductions of the original Isle of Lewis museum artifacts. These superb British hand made chess pieces are licensed by National Museums Scotland. They have been produced from accurate laser scans of the original figures.
Legend has it these figures originated from Norway circa 1100 AD. They remained undiscovered buried on the Scottish isle for hundreds and hundreds of years. They were eventually found by chance in 1831 near a collapsed sand bank beside the sea shore.
The original pieces remain in the United Kingdom. Some can be found on display in Edinburgh at National Museum Scotland. The others are housed at The British Museum in London These accurate renditions allow you to own an important piece of history.
- King Weight : 4.7oz (135g)
- Pawn Weight : 0.8oz (22g)
- Total Weight : 5lbs (2.3kg)
- King Height : 3.25 inches (8.2cm)
- King's Base Diameter : 2 inches (5.08cm)
- Pawn Height : 2 inches (5cm)
- Materials Used: Stone Resin Composite